Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Crazy Parental Unit

My parents are crazy. Flat out. If they read this (which they probably will) they can confirm the facts. They are crazy and they know it. What kind of people say to themselves, "hey, if I rent a car and start driving I could get to San Francisco tomorrow for the protest?" or "Hey, they paved the road up to Mt. Everest base camp,so I want to be the first person to longboard down it!" ?? Well what kind of rash people do that?! None... but hey, my parents are... different.
Ah, lets start with a brief history of them. My mom was the editor of a magazine that she helped organize called Sunstone, one day she hired my dad. Ah, that's when the magic began. My mom was (still is) a crazy liberal, who transfered schools as often as she could... she went to like 5 colleges. My dad on the other hand, was just hard core crazy for the moment he was born. Too many stories for a short blog entry. Anyways... they meet...eventually get married... and take all the money that they got from wedding presents and moved to Africa. They had no jobs or connections, they just got on a plane and moved to Africa. They lived there, doing what they love to do... writing and taking photos. Then they moved back to New York City... had Jamie and I, then back to SLC to have the twins.
So they've been through quite their share of adventures... I would say. I've grown up with my mother telling my dad, "Mike, don't scare the children" almost right after he would start telling us stories. Oh the stories my dad tells. Once, he read out loud the TV guide and instead of telling about real plot summaries, he made up completely new tv shows. But when we said we wanted to watch the one he was describing, he would make up some excuse like, "oh we need cable to watch that one."
Two years ago, he said to my brother, "Let's go to Tibet" and they did. That's just the kind of dad my father is.
He goes longboarding, windsurfing, skiing, and the usual protest.
So the latest crazy thing my parents thought up happened Sunday. They came home from a nice drive in the neighborhood, and they call the real estate agent and wants to sell our house. They saw a house that they wanted to buy... and well... now I get kicked out for a few hours every day so people are come investigate our living space. But really, mom and dad, what are you thinking? Why would you want to buy an even bigger house?! I love our house, it's small, but cute. I've actually always been proud of the fact that I grew up in a house with only one bathroom and no air conditioning. I feel good about not having a big house... and here we are considering this house more than twice the size of our current one! I thought we always planned on downsizing instead of upgrading. I just think it's unnecessary to have a big house... why do we need it for? We don't even have furniture to fill it up? I think we could do much better things with the money that we are going to spend on buying and fixing up this new house.They say that they will sell the house in a few years and give the money to us to start our own families... but I kinda think that they are trying to justify buying an expense house. But hey, I could be totally wrong. Hey, I do love my parents and I think they are amazing... but really, is this what they really want? Hey, they can do whatever they want... but I think they might want to think this one through!
Anyways... I think they'll still be crazy no matter what I say!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

you're moving!?

alexkhulme said...

stop, Stop, STOP. Moving?! Suzanne. Why did I not hear this yesterday, when I could have an out-loud fit about it?! I am . . . distressed. But stuck in an extremely quiet computer lab with no outlet for such shock.

You just cannot be serious. Can you?

E. said...

whoops, sorry, that's me, E. My coworker and I have been switching computers. Ha. I am so not Alex Kono. And she just hit me for that. Lame.

Miss Stack said...

sorry I didn't tell you when you came over... we weren't allowed to tell Jamie... so we all tried to forget about it. But yeah, we sold our house on Saturday...... soooo looks like we're homeless at the moment