Friday, July 4, 2008

Kathmandu, I'll be watching you

On the day of our country's independence I'm here in a country that recently gained their own independence, Nepal. This country couldn't be more opposite than ours, a communist like rebel group in charge, and the richest of the rich couldn't even come close to our middle class. But it's such a cool place with such a cool vibe. If I told you that I thought this place was clean, quiet, peaceful, and happy you would think that I'm out of my mind. But that's how I feel about it. I mean compared to Delhi this place is paradise. So what if the streets aren't really paved or that people use the streets as a trash can? At least it's not humid and horrible and crowded and just awful.
The whole time I've been here I've had that Cat Stevens song, Kathmandu (hence the title of this post) stuck in my head. There is this Buddhist temple with these blue eyes painted on everyside, so it seems like they are staring you down where ever you go. It's so neat and covered in prayer flags! love it!
Oh the streets are lined with every REI lovers dream. Northface climbing equiment stores. But unlike our dear REI back in the states, people can actually afford to buy these clothes. Tonight I bought a jacket which I saw at REI a few months back which was priced well over a hundred dollars for about $7. I was told afterwards that I paid way too much for it. It's heaven here and I have to practice extreme self control as to not to run into the stores and buy everything I see. If anyone wants me to buy them anything, let me know!
Has anyone heard of MC Hammer? He wrote the Hammertime song... and invented Hammerpants. Hammerpants are like diapers, the pant legs are so wide that you would think that it was a skirt, but then you see the elastic at the bottom and then the diaper like way the legs separate. well apparantly they are back in style here in Nepal. Every store has them and almost all of the hippy foreigners wear them... although none of the natives sport them. I think it's hillarious.
Tomorrow I'm going trekking in the Himalayas with a sherpa! Totally tight! If the weather is clear I'll be able to see Everest! Woot woot!
Happy Fourth of July! I don't think I'll ever complain about America again.... after all they do have toliets that work unlike so much of the rest of the world!

4 comments:

Anthony said...

Wow it's been SO great reading about all your adventures and stuff! So amazing! Epic even. That's quite a blessing- being able to do what you're doing. I envy you...

...

Sister Garfield DEFINITELY doesn't write in this sucker EVER.

Annika said...

Holy crap. suzanne. can you seriously get north face stuff for super duper cheap over there? I might have to ask you to pick up a jacket or something for me

Miss Stack said...

which annie is this, who has found my blog and wants a jacket?

Annika said...

kill and eat. it's self explanatory.