Friday, April 18, 2008

My lost love

My romantic history is actually fairly tragic. The fairy tale relationship that we should have had never happened because certain obstacles got in the way. I shall start with the first moment I saw him. It was August 27, 2006, when I strolled nonchalantly into East High's ceramic's room. I recognized a few friends and sat next to them. I was early, or course, so the bell hadn't rung yet. I was conversing with my friends, when I stopped breathing. In walked the man of my dreams, actually he kind of ran because he was late. Anyways, he was about 6 foot, with blond swoopy hair, a hemp bag slung across one shoulder, a Bob Marley shirt hung loosely on him, and (the very very best part) he had rolled up his pants to mid calf. Right then and there I fell in love. There was no way of turning back. I was in this. He crossed the room and sat (conveniently) in a stool facing me, but three tables over. Because of his innocent face, laid back manner, and rolled up pants, I deemed him Tom Sawyer.

From that day forth, I tried everything in my 16 year old power to get his attention or find out his name. Only, a few months later, did I stumble across it. We were doing name plates in clay, and I circled the room and right behind his stool, I stopped and "adjusted" the tools I was carrying and there, perfectly clear, carved out of the moist clay, in teenage boy handwriting was scrawled "Tyler"... but I still thought of him as Tom. Little over a month after that, I got the courage and I talked to him. He was glazing his coil pot over by the sink. I skillfully found that my hands were dirty, so I made my way over to the sink. I washed my hands.... very very thoroughly, as I was washing it, I turned to Mr. Sawyer and said in my most seductive voice, "Nice pot" He looked up at me and gave me a piercing glance and said "Thank you" in the richest most sincere voice I ever heard.
Well after finding out his name and conversing with him, I went ahead and started planning the wedding. I had everything ready. I overheard him say that he was trying to quit smoking, so I even got a temple date.
But here, like in most perfect love stories, fate interrupted our beautiful love. It was the last day of school, I was standing the back of the auditorium watching the seniors' picture fly by. I watched as the face of my beloved graced the screen for a few seconds. My lovely sister, Miss Karen Stack, witnessed my somber look of shock. I turned to her slowly, stood there for a few minutes in a state of numbness. I could feel my heart breaking, and that's when I started crying. I had no idea that he was a senior. I thought we had time. I mean for goodness sakes, I had only one conversation with him. But my time was all used up. Once I got my yearbook, I spent the rest of the day, trying to find him. I didn't know what I was going to say to him, but I just had to have him sign my yearbook and admire his rolled up pants just one last time. I turned the corner, and just a few feet away from me stood the only man I've ever loved. This was my chance, I squared my shoulders and started walking forward. But, again with the fate thing, a certain teacher stood in the way of my happiness. The teacher drilled me about my brother, and by the time I got away from him, Mr. Sawyer was gone. Forever.
I know I shall never love another as I loved Tom... but one day I might be able to reassemble my shattered heart.
Miss Stack

6 comments:

Jeff said...

What a tragic story! You could follow him to college...

Anthony said...

That is SO wierd. I dunno... I always consider myself a romantic till death, but... what!? You like a guy because of his PANTS ROLLED UP!? I mean... you didn't even know him. That's lame... love aint like that. I thought a Jane Austen fan could come up with something more passionate or complex... tsk tsk. Actually my last blog entry was sort of about my retarded love life but... it was WAY longer than this. Hahaha. Twas a fun read though. Keep up the work Miss Stack.

Miss Stack said...

I guess my heart is easily won.... plus I was kind of going for a parody... it's hard to convey sarcasm over the internet.

Anthony said...

Haha. I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. No worries.

Kevin said...

I'm telling Tom!

E. said...

Oh, the rolled-up pants! Just as miraculous as the rumpled dress shirt, the worn-and-loved fleece, or the barefoot nonchalance. So quick to win a heart . . .